SEA-Teacher program in Thailand
My best time in Thailand
My name is Kairi Ishii, from Japan.
Today, I will talk about my experience in Thailand.
I went to Khon Kean in Thailand in February 2026 to practice teaching mathematics.
This was my first time to teach something in English and also to go abroad.
1. About KKUDSID where I went
I went to Khon Kean University Demonstration School International Division which is called KKUDSID.Since this school is the international school, there are many international people such as people from Thailand, China, Indnesia, Spain, Ukraine, and so on.
This school is a newer school than other affiliated school.
There are many classrooms from Grade 1 to Grade 9.
So there are many types of students such as people just like kids, like an athlete, and so on.
Also, there is a wide range of proficiency levels among the students.
One of the most surprising things I felt is that students have to take three langages.
They have to study Thai and English and they can choose one more langage among Japanese, Chinese and Spanish.
I feel this is an excellent practice that truly embodies the essence of an international school.
Finally, I will talk about my interesting experience.
I went to the dinner with my teacher in KKUDSID.
Surprisingly, there were no Thai.
This is also an identity of international school.
The teachers are also international.
2. About the classes I observed
While I stayed in Thailand, I observed two types of class.
One is Grade 3 and another is Grade 6.
At the last time I went to the school, I was going to practice teaching mathematics to Grade 6 students.
Both classes students were so active, so it l looked difficult to follow them to the teacher.
The teacher often used the screen with the touching option to attract their attention.
The teacher also used many types of games.
On the other hands, sometimes the teacher had to be strict and scold the students.
By doing so, students could concentrate on the class.
Next, I will talk about what the students studied.
About Grade 3 students, they studied Clock/Angles/Lines/Perimeter and Area of 2D shape.
There are some differences from Japan.
One example of that is that we do not have the name instead of "reflex angles".
Another example of that is that we do not introduce the mark of "⊥" for primary students.
In Japan, we always introduce it for junior high school students.
Finally, what I feel is that it is good system for the teacher to make students answer the questions aloud.
By doing so, students can keep concentrating on the class.
About Grade 6 students, they studied Percentage/Area of many types of 2D shapes/The introduction of 3D shape.
There are also many deffirences from Japan.
One example of that is that we do not use the unit of "ft" and "inch".
We use only "mm", "cm", "m"and "km" to express the length.
Another example is that we do not study hard about "kite".
Some Japanese may not know kite although they know parallerogram, trapezoid, and so on.
Finally, what I feel is that G6 students are so lively but if the teacher asks questions aloud, they can concentrate on him.
I was able to gain a valuable insight into my teaching.
3. About my teaching plan
The final day I went to the school, I was going to teach mathematics to Grade 6 students.I planned to teach 3D shape.
The goal of this class was that all students could understand 3D shape and count up the number of edge, vertex and faces.
The first question was that "What is 3D shape?".
I wanted the students to think about this question and understand why this world is called 3 "Dimentional" space by using the box whose shape is rectangular prism.
And then, I was going to introduce what is edge, vertec, face and base.
At the time I introduce them, I would use the screen with touching option to attract their attention.
Finally, I would ask them to count up the number of edge, vertex and faces of many types of 3D shape.
And then , I would pick a few students and have them solve the problems at the screen to check if they could understand the class.
4. About my teaching practice
As I wrote before, I taught them 3D shape.Good points of my class are as follows.
First, the time management was good.
At the first half didn't go very well because I could not follow them to me than I had expected.
For example, when I wanted them to repeat after me to say some words, they did not answer me.
Maybe my English skill was bad or I could not communicate them.
Moreover, one student suddenlly asked me a question.
Even if it was not thing I expected, I could answer it.
Although things aren't going as planned, I was able to manage the time well by calling on more students.
As a result, the time management went well.
Second, almost all students could answer the final question correctly.
When I showed the triangular prism which was not shown them, almost all students could answer it.
I think this result is one of my achievements.
On the other hands, Bad points of my class are as follows.
First, I could not communicate with students as I thought.
When I wanted them to read the passage aloud, no one responed to me.
Thus, there was a time when I was talking by myself.
Second, I shouldn't have had the students draw the faces on the screen.
It is because it was defficult to recognize some faces.
5. Summary of this program
It was really good experience for me.
Actually, this was my first time to go abroad.
So, when I arrived at Khon Kean, I was really nervous to everything.
However, because every Thai people, those involved in this SEA-Teacher program and KKUDSID teachers are so kind and friendly, I could enjoy this program.
And then, I have not had the opportunity to speak English before.
As you know, many Japanese cannot speak English well.
I am also one person of that.
Although one month is too short to master speaking English, it was really good opportunity for me.
Moreover, I have not had the opportunity to teach mathematics in front of foreigners.
Maybe not everyone gets to have an experience like this.
Through this program, I have more interests in English and teaching than before.
I want to speak English more and I want to be a great teacher such as I met at KKUDSID.
I'm sure I can become even greater than I am now.
At the end of this blog, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to everyone involved this SEA-Teacher program.
I was really happy to join this program.
Thank you for reading this blog!!







コメント
コメントを投稿